Thursday, April 28, 2011

Lighting.

I love the way that lighting can create warm, cozy and inviting living spaces. I remember as a young child, requesting a lamp in my bedroom because the overhead light was too stark and made my room seem cold and blanched.

A night light with a difference. The x-ray light below is not everyone's cup of tea, but most people love it. One visitor thought it was a strange choice, but I think it has a certain industrial, old medical, charm and you don't have to put an X-ray up on it. We have also put up lovely Japanese rice paper, children's art work and other things that work well.


I love Ikea! The lights below are cute, cast a warm and safe glow and can be kept on all night in the kid's room without being too bright.

I have featured this light shade before. Made by my beautiful artist friend and we luckily scored one.
The Moroccan light fitting below is exactly the same as one in the film Casablanca. I remember watching the film, then getting very excited to see our light shade. Perhaps it's the very one??

We found this Nouveau chandelier in an op-shop in Melbourne. It is made of heavy, gilded metal. We forked out a whopping $80 for it!

The little flocked angel lamp below was bought in a bargain shop. I love it; it's cheap, it's plastic, but it is so sweet and quite classy, I think.

My Nanna's deco lamp made by my Poppa's electro plating factory.

The Tiffany lamp below is a favorite. We found the shade at a garage sale in Toorak and it is made of plastic panels in a metal frame. I couldn't believe it and I love its fakeness. My husband put it on a genuine Tiffany style Arts and Crafts base, so it looks really great. I still think it looks like glass and even up close you can't tell.


The light shade below was found at our local op-shop. It is a Japanese back pack basket for carrying fish or other goods. We took out the base, turned it upside down and hung it over our kitchen bench. It cost me $10.


A Chinese wooden possum lamp. We still haven't found a really great shade for it yet, but want a fringed, round little fabric red one. We might be lucky.



No comments:

Post a Comment